1. Let's say that a ranking public health official decides that abuse of illegal drugs is a literal epidemic.
2. How do you contain an epidemic? By quarantine, of course.
3. So the official decides to have drug abusers quarantined in rehab until clean, and, more important, no longer able to spread the mental and emotional virus of addiction.
4. Would that pass muster in a free society? If not, why not?
5. Would it fulfill the affirmative burden of the November-December 2010 LD resolution?
Added: Lest you think it's too far afield, consider the fact that anti-drug vaccines are within the realm of the plausible. So why not take it a step further?