Apr 25, 2010

things I will recommend to you

Because I am your arbiter of taste.

In no particular order.

1. Life on Mars (the British import). Snappy humor mixed with non-sappy drama. And incredible polyester ties. My favorite period pieces are always from the 70s--for good reason.

2. Xinh's Clam and Oyster House. Shelton's best restaurant, perhaps, and some of the best seafood in the area. The one thing I can't figure out: why it took me two decades to try the place. Melissa had the swordfish with peanut sauce, and I had pan-fried geoduck. My recommendation: pass on the bread (it's lackluster, bland and dry) and save room for dessert. Pick any bivalve; you can't go wrong.

3. Wye Oak, The Knot.

4. PDE Auto Body in Olympia. Heaven forfend that your automobile need a facelift, but if it does, trust it to PDE.

5. Twister Donuts. Great doughnuts at fair prices. The fritters are particularly good. Weak spots: the coffee is subpar (and Olympia is a coffee town, so what gives?), and the bacon maple bar pales in comparison to the famed treat from Portland's Voodoo Doughnut. You can't go cheap on the bacon.

2 comments:

HDuffy said...

Wow. Life on Mars is one of my favorite shows. Nice list! :)

Jim Anderson said...

Sadly, its sequel, Ashes to Ashes, isn't yet available through Netflix.

If you haven't seen it, you might also enjoy the original--British, of course--State of Play.