May 7, 2006

why are you creating a monster?

I've been brainstorming lists of reasons for a couple weeks now. After all, I have grants to write, bureaucrats to call, committees to persuade. If you can't sell it to yourself, you can't sell it to five burnt-out government flacks, that's for sure.

Here's what I've come up with.

1. To give the economy a kick in the pants.

2. Monsters don't just create jobs, they spur investment in education and encourage America's students to seek degrees in mad science.

3. Mom said I would never amount to anything. She was always nattering as she spooned gruel through the bars of my cage. "You're a loser, just like the freak who sewed you together and crammed your skull full of sheep brains," she would say. (Actually, just one of her heads said that. The other was secretly on my side.)

4. Destiny is calling. I am destiny's cab.

5. There is an irresistible urge to meddle with the created order, to synthesize the elan vital. The spark of life is the spark of the divine in us. To play God is to make a god.

6. The world needs another monster. A monster with the strength to destroy the other monster I built, the six-story behemoth terrorizing the public library in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

7. Because I can.



[eighty-fourth in a series]

No comments: