May 11, 2006

cosmic alignment

A student came in today asking for help. In two weeks he'll participate in a mock trial of Socrates, and has the tough job of playing the prosecuting attorney. (Socrates will be played by his professor, a Plato expert. Ouch.) I ran some questions past him, he outlined some strategy ideas. He left with more questions than when he came--so I suppose I fulfilled my Socratic mission.

My brother is a huge fan of Plato. He also is a Biola alum, and sometime defender of Intelligent Design.

What brings these thoughts together? A comment by Kansas Anarchist, who compares an upcoming Biola panel discussion called "Intelligent Design Under Fire" to Socrates' trial. Apologies, K.A., for reproducing in large part. It's just too precious.
If Socrates had run a debate like this, he would have told his friend Crito, "Hey, Crito, old buddy. I know you're very intent on my saving myself from the death sentence imposed on me. Look, why don't we hash it out here in my cell? I'll invite the jailer, a few of the jury members, and a couple of people who don't know much about the case like Kephalos the olive-vendor for balance. I'm going for a type of panel press conference feel rather than a debate, strictly speaking. You know, the kind of thing to stretch Plato's abilities--he's a good kid, getting stuck in a rut with all those dialogues."

"Um, Socrates, if you're filling up the panel with your jailers and people who won't be able to argue strongly one way or the other, then where do I fit in?"

"Oh, well, we'll take questions."

"Questions?"

"Yeah. I think giving you an opportunity to ask a question should allow you ample opportunity to put your case."

"A question? Am I to infer from the singular that I'm allowed to ask only one?"

"Yeah, that's how it is. After all, I wouldn't want to let you monopolize the question and answer period."

"Socrates, this is bullshit."

"Oh, come on now! If you really feel this strongly about saving my life, you should welcome any opportunity to make your case!"

[exit Crito shaking his head in dismay and fade out on Socrates looking smug]

No comments: