May 20, 2006

Barry Who?

On this historic day, I cannot refrain from commenting on a great moment in sports. We're sitting at the dinner table when I announce that Barry Bonds has hit his 714th home run, tying Ruth's mark. "Barry Bonds?" says Sister One. "Hmm... that doesn't sound right."

"What do you mean?" I ask, dumbfounded. "Oh, right, it's 'James Bonds.'"

Determined to out-knowledge her sibling, Sister Two cuts in. "Barry Bonds plays for the New York Giants."

"If this is 1956," I say. "You mean San Francisco."

"Yeah, yeah, I know," Sister Two says, laughing guiltily.

"Hey, Sister Two," I say, "What was Barry Bonds' first team?"

Sister One jumps in with "The White Sox." Sister Two pauses for a second. "Chicago?"

"Which one?"

"The Red Sox!"

4 comments:

Matthew Anderson said...

Please, please tell me those weren't my sisters. Please!

Jim Anderson said...

Those weren't your sisters.

Jim Anderson said...

Actually, they were. Sorry. Shame made me lie.

MT said...

I'm sure they run circles 'round you guys in Civil War history.