Jun 25, 2004

as a matter of fact, I was wrong

Kenneth Pollack is a fine human being. Why? He admits when he's wrong, wrong in a big way. Wrong to the point that even my Republican family and friends are starting to understand my Bush loathing.

Bill Galston is one helluva debater. In the fall of 2002, well before the invasion of Iraq, I faced Bill--a University of Maryland professor and a former colleague of mine in the Clinton administration--in a public debate, and he kicked my rhetorical ass. He did it by holding up a copy of my book, The Threatening Storm, and saying to the audience, "If we were going to get Ken Pollack's war, I could be persuaded to support it. But we are not going to get Ken Pollack's war; we are going to get George Bush's war, and that is a war I will not support." Bill's words haunted me throughout the run-up to the invasion. Several months ago, I sent him a note conceding that he had been right.


Kenneth Pollack for president.

No comments: