The Olympia School District will be able to return all its RIFed teachers this year, thanks to the new contract overwhelmingly ratified by the Olympia Education Association last night.
Some of the major changes for the next contract year include...
* A reduction from 30 staff development (optional training) building, District, and teacher-directed hours to 12 teacher-directed hours.
* Reduction to 177 student days; 3 days out of the 180 in the school year are now non-student training days.
* A cap on overload payments at $866,0760
* 3 additional "optional day" hours (to mitigate a portion of the pay cut)
* School's out June 15, 2012, absent any snow days
The three non-student days are at least a little closer to the furlough the state didn't provide.
All in all, this is good news. Not great news--cuts are cuts--but good news.