1. Why does a curveball appear to curve far more than it actually curves? This clever animation shows the illusion involved. (Via NewScientist.)
2. Exploring the religious roots and impulses of John Rawls' work.
3. A contrarian's take on the-internet-is-killing-us, from Benjamin Kunkel: "I'm eager to stick up for casual and often vulgar online writing and culture as long as I'm not forced to defend them in grandiose terms."
4. How to turn a guesstimate into an estimate, by crowdsourcing your own brain. [via Mark Frauenfelder]
5. Is Ross Ohlendorf the Greg Maddux of his generation?