Feb 9, 2009

A-Rod confesses

He juiced. He initially said he didn't, but his conscience, in the form of a Sports Illustrated investigation, finally caught up with him.
The All-Star third baseman said in an interview with ESPN that he used steroids with the Texas Rangers for three years, from 2001-03, in an attempt to justify his status as the game's highest-paid player after signing a 10-year, $252 million contract.

"Back then it was a different culture," Rodriguez said. "It was very loose. I was young. I was stupid. I was naive, and I wanted to prove to everyone that, you know, I was worth, you know -- and being one of the greatest players of all time."

He said he quit after 2003, his first of three AL MVP seasons, because "I've proved to myself and to everyone that I don't need any of that." He was traded to the New York Yankees before the 2004 season.
The Times story doesn't mention whether former Mariner Bret Boone will come under any more intense scrutiny. Boone, like A-Rod, was named by Jose "Pravda" Canseco as a juicer, right around the same time, and also underwent a mysterious bulking-up with a stat boost unlikely for a middle infielder. Boone flatly denies roiding up. But then, so did A-Rod.

What would really be funny? A confession by Rafael Belliard.

1 comment:

Cassiar Memekio said...

hahahaha rafael belliard would be hilarious...