Nov 16, 2008

Capital continues march through playoffs

Down 10-0 in the second half, the Cougars rallied, then held on to defeat Meadowdale, 14-10, in state playoff action.
In the first half, Capital drove inside the Mustangs' 25 four times and failed to score in the first round of the 3A state playoffs.

But Riley Wall, Capital's gritty senior tailback playing on a sprained ankle, broke loose for a 73-yard touchdown midway through the third quarter, cutting Meadowdale's lead to 10-7 and giving the Cougars new life.

Wall appeared to be stopped at the line of scrimmage.

"I just kept my feet moving," Wall said. "I didn't run very well in the first half. That time I kept moving. I saw an opening, and I just got on my horse and tried to go."

Wall outran two defenders to the end zone. Prior to his touchdown romp, Wall had 28 yards on his 10 carries.
Our next match is in Spokane this coming Saturday, against East Valley.

In other high school football playoff news, our crosstown rivals were knocked out (and I'd say upset) by Central Kitsap, another home of the Cougars.
Squandered chances on offense and timely execution from Central Kitsap both played a part in sending the No. 3 ranked Bears home for the remainder of the Washington Class 4A state playoffs Friday in a 14-10 loss in front of a near capacity crowd at Ingersoll Stadium.

"We made some mistakes, and Central Kitsap played a great football game," said Olympia coach Bill Beattie, whose team finished the season 10-1. "They came after us; hit us hard on both sides of the ball. We had some opportunities that we didn't take care of. We didn't turn them into points."
I'm more surprised that Olympia's defense gave up 14 points. Their speedy D had stifled opponents all season long.

Last, O'Dea, as I predicted, will not have a chance to face CHS at state this year. The Irish lost to undefeated Lakes. Though they have a tough task in Eastside Catholic coming up next, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lancers in the championship this year.

It'd be nice if we could face them there.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

When did you become such a high school football expert?

Jim Anderson said...

Approximately 6-8 weeks after my order.