Dec 16, 2007

Americans love their fast food

Yesterday, I spent a good part of my morning driving Kaz to the airport. He had been in the United States for several months, studying English in Evergreen's exchange program, and, by inhabiting the Starbucks where my wife works, had become a friend of the family. The day he was supposed to return to Japan, his buddy flaked out, so I got a call at 8:30 asking if I could drive him to SeaTac.

Like all our conversations, our trip talk mixed grammar and idiom instruction with an American culture FAQ. As we drove through Lakewood, Kaz asked, "Why is it there are so many tubbies eating fast food in America? I go to Burger King and see people there eating two burgers, two Cokes, and fried potatoes. Why is that?"

This marketing ploy / social experiment / "prank" / Greek tragedy by Burger King is the answer.

I'm not surprised by the surprise felt by the folks in the video. After all, Burger King has spent millions upon millions over the past decades socializing us to love it for its flagship meat patty-wich. What amazes me, though, is the depth of passion some folks have for the Whopper. It's not Burgerville, people.

Around the 4:14 mark, throw in a little homophobia or sexism, take your pick:

"If Burger King doesn't have the whopper, they might as well change their name to Burger Queen."

Too late! Already taken!





[via The Hater]

No comments: