Mar 29, 2007

flying solo

In a matter of hours, the jet lands in Madrid, with my heart on board. My wife is spending ten weeks in Spain, studying language and culture and history in Ubeda. (Ella no puede Inglés durante los estudios--y por eso, estoy practicando mi Español.)

The distance isn't infinite: ten weeks of phone cards, Skype, instant messaging, email, blogging, letters, postcards, telepathy. If I complain, a denizen of the twentieth century is near enough to retort, "In my day..." They're right. It's not as bad as it could be. But it's still pretty damn bad.

Miss you already, Melissa. Come back soon.



Update: She arrived safely today, which in the context of this post means tomorrow. I am resisting the temptation to start counting the days.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I miss you too. I should´ve left everything else behind and packed you in my suitcase. Right now I´m fighting against the overwhelming urge to hop the next train back to Madrid and fly home.