Jul 9, 2006

be true to your brewer

Why do coffee lovers stay loyal to their shop of choice? The halo effect. Assorted quotes:
"I like that this place is small and cute. There's just something about it.... All the girls (employees) are excited to see me when I come in."

"I know the people. It's a great place just to hang out.... It's kind of a hobby."

"It makes you feel like they know you.... They are so friendly."

"It's more than just coming to buy coffee, it's a place to socialize."

"I'm a total Starbucks customer. For me, it's all about consistency."
Most of the comments focus on the experience, not on the drink itself. Witness the popularity of Starbucks, which serves mediocre java (at least it's the same mediocrity everywhere you go) yet has remora-loyal patrons.

Am I weird for keeping my laptop at home, ordering my coffee to go, and taking it outside to enjoy with a better-looking backdrop?

No comments: