Dec 10, 2005

what I learned

At a debate tournament this weekend, I discovered--or rediscovered, given my sleep-deprived state--some essential truths.

1. When I am fatigued, and compensate by drowning in caffeine, my voice deepens. It doesn't get any richer, though. It has Orson Welles's depth, but Fran Drescher's resonance.

2. My speech and debate squad can function reasonably well in my absence. (I spent the bulk of my time tabulating LD ballots, waiting for LD ballots, arranging and rearranging LD brackets, and watching the tab room pass through several crises, none of which was caused by our efforts, thankfully.)

3. Irish people are "drunk, jolly ring-makers."

4. Ethnic stereotypes are alive and well. (See #3, and a few to-be-unmentioned incidents.)

5. Eminent domain, usually thought of in the tangible here-come-the-bulldozers-to-knock-down-the-family-farm sense, could also be applied to intellectual property. Just wait: soon decorabilia will be taken down and replaced by a far more profitable blog.

3 comments:

MT said...

Here's an example from me of emminent domain applied to IP (a.k.a "compulsory licensing" I learned post-post)

Unknown said...

What I learned is that social relativism has caused many people to make blogs in fits of rage.

MT said...

UC Berkeley is doing a bit of what it calls "royalty-free licensing".