Dec 19, 2005

project


This classic Sears Roebuck and Co. turntable and radio cabinet looks great on the outside, but is completely gutted on the inside. I spent the better part of Saturday tearing out the defunct, mold-infested components, and scrubbing out the interior with a strong bleach solution. I've successfully "installed" an older CD player and hooked it into the original 12-inch woofers, a rather inelegant solution.

Right now the controls are partly inaccessible under a wood panel where the turntable used to sit. The challenge is to figure out how to install either a receiver / CD player combo or a car stereo (with power converter, obviously) to permanently replace the current Mickey-Mouse setup, without offending my inherent miseritude.

I've probably destroyed whatever antique value the cabinet had by removing the components, but that's okay. It belonged to my grandfather. One of his quirks was buying high-end equipment that he rarely, if ever, used. Now the equally quirky strains of Ben Folds Five pour out of ancient speakers, making the system more than just a fine piece of nostalgic furniture.

Oh, and if any of my readers have advice on how to effectively remove musty smells from 60s-era wood, let me know.

No comments: