Jul 14, 2005

memo to Wall Street Journal: stuff it.

This article (linked to by He of the Well-Known Blog) gets my dander up. Not that I'm terribly concerned with Michigan's economy--Washington state has its own economic woes, thank you--and I have even less stake in the hysterical bloviation of its governor, but in The Journal's snide dismissal of Jennifer Granholm, it bit off a bit more snark than it could ruminate.
Well, we recall that the first time an American was accused of "treason" for opposing high taxes was when New Englanders dressed as Indians and dumped tea in Boston Harbor. And it was America's most famous tax protester, Patrick Henry, who declared: "If this be treason, make the most of it." Ms. Granholm was born in Canada so maybe she missed this American history.
Guess what? I'm an American born in Canada, and I know who Patrick Henry was and what he said. In fact, I'd bet your average Canadian citizen would have an equal shot at naming Henry and reciting his fabled quote. Why? Because Canadians learn American history. Because students the world over learn American history. Because American history matters.

But that's just ranting. How about a fact-check?

Jennifer Granholm moved to the United States when she was three.

So the slam is not only lame, but completely irrelevant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks!! I think Ill return in the near future