Jun 6, 2005

a spotty Rossi / Gregoire timeline

November 8, 2004
As the count starts to wind down, I first note the thinning margin of Gregoire's initial lead, having no idea that a volcano of vituperation is about to erupt.

November 9
Ruth Bennett: the only clear winner in the contest.

November 15
I call on Christine Gregoire to concede. Not that she was listening.

November 18
Rossi wins the first count, and I shake the snow globe and predict he'll win the machine recount, too.

November 19
I naively assume the recount will be finished by Christmas.

November 24
After she loses the machine recount, I again call on Gregoire to concede, but again she ignores me.

November 25
Christine Gregoire reveres the right to vote.

December 13
The snow globe says Rossi again.

December 22
"After this, an election without a recount just won't seem like a real election."

Which one of these bore out?

Top Ten Ways To Describe the Gregoire / Rossi Debacle
A Triumph for Democracy
The End of Democracy
The Battle of Seattle, Redux
Count Every Vote
Don't Change the Rules
Tie Goes to the Republican
The Great Suffrage Telethon
The Rise of the Libertarian Swing Vote
Damn You, Ron Sims
Dino Who?

December 29
Gregoire wins the recount.

December 30
Morton Brilliant says something that, in retrospect, is very, very silly.

March 10, 2005
In the light of new circumstances, I call the court battle for Gregoire. It is only my second correct prediction.

March 17, 2005
The Republican get-the-felon-vote-out strategy has a hangup.

May 26, 2005
All hail David Postman!

June 6, 2004
Rossi retires; Gregoire is our governor. It had to end sometime, I guess.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is that Postman related to THE Postman?

Jim Anderson said...

That's THE Postman's dad.