Jun 7, 2005

by a process of elimination

All my addictions are intellectual.

Seth Stevenson is right.

Sudoku.

Simple: 1-9 in every row, column, and 3x3 box.

Maddening: on the trickiest puzzles, you have to guess; there is no other way.

Satisfying: by intuition and deduction, a critical mass of numbers is reached, and they start to fall into place by sheer logic, and the non-pattern emerges.

Today I introduced my younger sister to Sudoku, and she nerdily watched as I solved a "very hard" puzzle from this wonderful site.

I am a Sudoku evangelist, and the world will be worse for it.

1 comment:

Peter Wall said...

Oh, yeah, those are fun. While I was honing my brain for the LSAT, I picked up several books of puzzles and logic games, and did pages and pages of these things. Way addictive.