Jan 20, 2005

challenge accepted

To my brother's total non-surprise, I have taken up Mark Olson's challenge to read The Challenge of Jesus by N.T. Wright, and then write an essay or two about it (to be cross-posted at my book-blog, bibliocracy).

Olson gives several reasons for setting up the project:
  • Many of the non-Christian posters seem to have a poor understanding of the breadth of different interpretations considered "doctrine" in today's "shattered" church(es).
  • This is one such interpretation that seems to me might be more difficult for today's Enlightenment influenced agnostic or atheist to dismiss out of hand, as to do so would require dismissing much if not all historical inquiry.
  • The book is short, readable, and well written.
  • On a personal selfish note, I really do want to hear what a "differently" biased person might say when reading this.


I wouldn't say my understanding is "poor," but, especially in the light of recent ramblings, I welcome every opportunity to enrich it. I respect N.T. Wright as a scholar and exegete, and am looking forward to reading the book for pleasure as much as for education. I am also glad to play the role of Olson's biased Other. That he's offered to do the same merely sweetens the deal.

All in all, this whole experience affirms my blogging ideals: constructive communication across differences, for the betterment of all involved. Thank you for the invitation, Mr. Olson, and welcome to the blogroll.

1 comment:

Mark said...

I have a copy of Awakenings now. I should be finished reading it and have 2-3 essays in the next week or so.