Oct 26, 2004

d' oh?

If you, like some uninformed liberals and wishful-thinking conservatives, think George W. Bush is an evangelical Christian, think again.
In an exclusive interview with ABC News' Charles Gibson, Bush said he believes that both Christians and Muslims worship the same God.

"I think we do. We have different routes of getting to the Almighty," Bush said. "But I want you to understand, I want your listeners to understand, I don't get to get decide who goes to heaven. The Almighty God decides who goes to heaven and I am on my personal walk," he said.
Bush should have read what Pat Robertson has to say.

Besides, you should have known it all along.

3 comments:

Matthew Anderson said...

I'll save comments for the "American Prospect" article for my own blog.

As for Bush's comments, an increasing number of evangelicals think that Allah and God the Father are the same in Deity though different in name. Bush's comments really aren't that inflammatory in that respect.

Jim Anderson said...

Replace "evangelical" with "evangelical fundamentalist," and my point is made more clearly. Incidentally, the fundy wing of the Republican party would vote for Bush even if he said that he's now worshiping Amon-Ra, as long as he continued to support the "culture of life." I don't think his conciliatory remarks toward Muslims will hurt his electoral chances except with a few rabid Pat Buchanan types.

Matthew Anderson said...

"I don't think his conciliatory remarks toward Muslims will hurt his electoral chances except with a few rabid Pat Buchanan types."

And probably not even those, unless they abstain, but most people know how (in an important election) to choose the lesser of two evils.

I like fundamentalists. After all, I come from a fundamentalist background and school.