Oct 16, 2004

apocalypso

Yep. George W. Bush is a pawn of the Antichrist. But don't take my word for it; trust Michael Evans of WorldNetDaily.
When President Bush was at a nadir in the polls, when he was being brutally attacked by the liberal media, the war in Iraq was at its lowest point, and when the 9-11 commission was attempting to undermine his integrity, with character and courage, he made a biblically based, moral decision to stand with the nation of Israel. I believe this decision by President George W. Bush was prophetic, and will echo throughout eternity.
Why? Because Israel's existence is a necessary precondition for the (brief) reign of soon-to-arrive Antichrist, the Son of Perdition, The Beast, Apollyon, The Great Deceiver--and yes, they're all the same guy. It's all in the kooky book of Revelation, the most misinterpreted, misunderstood, misused book in the New Testament.

So if peace is achieved in the Middle East any time soon, thank George W. Bush, head for your bunker, and whatever you do, don't take the Mark.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

...and it would also speed up the process if you converted a Jew on the way.

Matthew Anderson said...

"It's all in the kooky book of Revelation, the most misinterpreted, misunderstood, misused book in the New Testament."

Wow, nothing to say here except, "Yup."

Out of literary interest, have you attempted to "pin down" the meaning of Revelation?

Jim Anderson said...

When I was studying the N.T. back in college, I remember reading Gordon Fee's interpretation, which made sense to me--the idea of "the end of history," with strong messages for the churches being more important than the "literal" fulfillment of prophecies.

I haven't thought about any particular specific interpretation for the symbolism--obvious references to Rome, to continual persecution of Christians and Jews under its government. It seems to be a clarion call to Christians to resist persecution; as Fee puts it, and I'm paraphrasing, "We'll win, so stay strong."

But it's been a long time since I gave it any serious consideration. (And I really don't think Bush is a pawn of The Beast, for humor's sake.) What are your thoughts? And when are you going to resurrect Mere Orthodoxy, or start your own blog? I miss the good old days.

Matthew Anderson said...

"What are your thoughts? And when are you going to resurrect Mere Orthodoxy, or start your own blog? I miss the good old days."

I have been considering both options. I have been swamped with school-work but have managed to stay fairly abreast of contemporary politics. I am also reading the Republic again and it is prompting all sorts of thoughts in me. I have reached a decision yet, but when I do I'll let you know.

I haven't actually read Fee on Revelation, but that is definitely my own opinion on it as well. Fee is an amazing exegete--his essay on the Trinitarian basis of Paul's thought resolved any worries I had about the basis of the doctrine. Revelation, in the pattern of Daniel, certainly seems to be (primarily) about encouraging the faithful in time of exile/suffering. The point is that Jesus is coming back--not when.