Aug 11, 2004

book larnin'

I believe in public schools. (I ought to; I teach in one.) I also believe that the well-off have every right to buy a potentially better education--this is America, darn it. They'd better be sure, though, that they're getting their money's worth.
California officials are seeking to shutter a chain of private schools that peddles bogus high school diplomas to unwitting students--many of them Latino immigrants--who are taught that there are 53 U.S. states and an "administrative" branch of government. The California Alternative High School, which operated 30 schools statewide, charged students $1450 for a 10-week course based on a bizarre 54-page workbook that apparently was authored by Ali G. State investigators last week seized the school's assets and asked a Superior Court judge to close down the sleazy outfit.
They're not the only ones who are confused about the structure of American government, though.
"[W]e've had leaks out of the administrative branch, had leaks out of the legislative branch, and out of the executive branch and the legislative branch, and I've spoken out consistently against them, and I want to know who the leakers are."—Chicago, Sept. 30, 2003
Guess who?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Damn. If that ain't the classiest scandal I've done heard about in months...