Jul 9, 2004

here, let's polish those jackboots

Honey, let's visit the Ballard Locks. You know, watch the ships go through, watch the salmon run, take a few pictures. No, wait, let's skip bringing the camera. I'd hate to have to sort it out with the Homeland Security Department again.

The police officer had failed to rebut my arguments, but he was definitely being a lot nicer now (which was quite welcome). He’d been explaining how the SPD are required to investigate all calls, which I said I understood, but I was still looking for some real accountability. That’s when one of the three non-uniformed men stepped forward, brandishing his badge, and began talking at me with his own rendition of the voice of absolute authority.

“I’ve listened to this for over five minutes. Look here. You see this?” Special Agent McNamara said, producing his badge. “This is a federal badge. We’re not with the rest of them. We’re federal agents from Homeland Security...”

Good grief.

Read Ian Spier's account. Get angry. Call your representative. Write a letter to the editor. And please, please, please visit the Locks, and take all the damned photos you want. Because if they won't let you, the terrorists have already won.

Oh, and by the way, I've taken photos of the locks, too, in the past--what Seattle-area resident hasn't? Mea culpa!

[thanks to PZ Myers over at Pharyngula]

No comments: