Jun 7, 2004

"I often quote myself..."

"...it adds spice to my conversation." So said George Bernard Shaw.

Today's topic: plagiarism (also referenced over on Pharyngula; it's that time of year). I teach two sophomore "pre-IB" honors English classes ( precursors to the full International Baccalaureate program). The pressure to perform, laziness, lack of confidence, and 'net savvy often combine into a deadly mix of cut-and-paste essay-writing.

Clever plagiarism is almost indistinguishable from mediocre writing. It is a sin, surely, but forgivable. But bad plagiarism--directly copying an entire essay on the web--is not only unforgivable, but insulting. Do students think teachers can't figure out Google?

The worst culprit, this time out, analyzed A Clockwork Orange through the lens of "the element of choice," compliments of ez-essays.com. The book itself is a red flag--it's difficult for even your above-average high schooler, and if you take a gander at the essay itself, you'll quickly see why I was immediately suspicious.

The last lines, the most banal, nonsensical closing in free essay history:
Through strong symbols in imagery, Alex's characterization, and his point of view, the absence of choice is proven as the most debilitating and most overlooked depravation of man's individual power. In everyone's life, the struggle for power exists in all situations. The decision between good and evil is the power that anyone must have as an individual. The choice of which path to take is dependant on the person and the situation, but the realization that both exist is a power unto itself.
Plagiarism lessens my enjoyment of my truly great students' writing, since I'll chronically have the tiniest sneaking suspicion that their work isn't genuine.

I hate it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is very informative. I hope to see more in the near future