May 14, 2004

teach students to empower themselves...

... and they'll do it.

Our school district is in a 3.2 million dollar black hole, so they're considering axing teachers. I just got a RIF notice; my English teaching position is on the line, since I'm very near the bottom on the seniority list. I'm cautiously optimistic--this sort of thing happens all the time in the world of education--but keeping my options open. But I don't want to lose my job. I love my students, and some of them can tolerate me.

When I told my debate class about the situation, some of them were apoplectic, and began hatching schemes to "Save Mr. A." Today, several of them, dressed in suits and ties, marched down to the principal's office to read a resolution calling for my reinstatement. I don't know how it turned out, but I'm proud of them--proud that they, of their own accord, decided to take action. This--this is why I love to teach.

Thanks, guys. You've made my year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You must be a really good teacher. Either that, or the students are downright crazy.