Jul 11, 2006

get out and stay out

come on in!
Charles Bukowski

"These poems are part of an archive of unpublished work that Charles Bukowski left to be published after his death," the book announces--making it the ninth posthumous collection of the poetic asshole's work. The title poem introduces the bilge to follow.
welcome to my wormy hell...
plenty of room for us all,
sucker
The reader knows exactly what to expect: self-indulgent, too-clever griping disguised as blue collar angst. In "nothing but a scarf," the speaker bitches about a "facile and bright" writer with "no edge."
I thought,
Jesus Christ, if this is what they
want,
from now on
I might as well write for
the rats and the spiders
and the air and just for
myself.

which, of course, is exactly what
I did.
Utter bullshit. As Allen Ginsberg put it, "I write poetry because I want to be alone, but I want to talk to people." If it's just for yourself, keep it that way, and never publish, especially not posthumously, beyond the sting of criticism.

The speaker of many of Bukowski's poems--dare we call him Bukowski, and treat the poems autobiographically?--is bitter at the ars-gratia-fartis literary set.
in decades past
I once warned
some poet-friends
of mine
about the masturbatory
nature of poetry readings
done just
for the applause of
a handful of
idiots
The self-righteous prophet of "I'm not all-knowing but..." meets an eager up-and-comer in "form letter," amazed that he would be sent "such obvious crap...."
I myself have never mailed any
of my work to anybody but
an editor or a publisher.
despite the fact that
my own work
was rejected for
decades...
and joins forces with a bartender to denounce the pretentious in "talking about the poets."
"if I was the policeman
of the world," the barkeep
continued, moving the drink
toward me, "many a darling
poet would either be allowed to
starve or forced to get a
real job."
After a few of these jeremiads bashing those who've never ridden the bulls and drank the whiskey and slept with the whores only write about the bulls and whiskey and whores, in an imaginary land where the music is "only for me," it's difficult to take speaker-Bukowski as anything but a crank. But hey--you're welcome to try! Come on in!

8 comments:

TeacherRefPoet said...

I'm not as anti-Bukowski as you are (and, it would appear, neither is anybody else). But my poetry professor back in my MFA days cried when Bukowski died, even though they'd never met. There's something in Bukowski's voice that is decidedly take-and-give-no-crap that I admire, even though I can name a dozen poets I like better.

I think that all poetry is masturbatory in some fashion. I guess I'd like to know how you feel Bukowski's is more so than Ginsburg (or, for that matter, than Whitman, Plath, Keats, Shakespeare...)

If you're going to write stuff and delude yourself to believing some ideal reader gives a shit about your thoughts, let alone would spend time or--oh my God--MONEY on it, then that's a form of masturbation, ain't it? The fantasies are similar.

TeacherRefPoet said...

And I managed to misspell Ginsberg. Nice job on my part, eh?

Jim Anderson said...

It's summertime. Orthography is lounging in a hammock somewhere.

It's not Bukowski's plebeian style that irritates me. It's his everyone-is-a-poser-but-me preachiness. Whitman never wrote, "Hey, everyone, I love nature, not like all those wanna-be Transcendentalists."

TeacherRefPoet said...

Funny, but I sort of always read Thoreau as saying that...

Jim Anderson said...

Thoreau wasn't much of a poet, though. Prose can hold hypocrites, but poetry spits them out.

mjp said...

This is very funny, considering the posed bullshit picture of Jim Anderson, casually sitting on a stump, writing. Writing furiously about his feelings and impressions while sitting on a comfy tree stump near a lake on some vacation.

What a man!

What a posing, insecure, angry-at-the-lack-of-his-own-success MAN!

mjp said...

It occurs to me that in the posed bullshit picture of Jim Anderson he may actually be reading rather that writing. Hardly makes any difference, of course.

Imagine how long it took him to climb up there and pose for that picture. You should respect him just for the climbing and posing effort alone. Jesus.

Jim Anderson said...

mjp, You're half right. The picture is candid (it's a small stump by Horseshoe Lake, near Mount Adams) but by choosing to put it up there, I'm a poser.

Show me where I claim to be anything else. In fact, I'd argue that all writers are posers (we can make a pedantic exception for diarists). If you don't see the contradiction between...

1. I write for only myself
2. I am a published poet

Then you'll never see where I'm coming from.

And hey--at least I'm a "man." I was afraid my insecurity would have diluted my masculine bravado beyond recognition.